Types of Storm Drains for Your Sacramento Property
Types of Storm Drains for Your Sacramento Property

April 06, 2015


We’ve had a tough time in the last few years with a lack of rain during the winter months, and this year we’ve come the closest to our usual annual average. While we can’t create the rain we need, you can, as a homeowner, make sure the rain water that falls on your property is drained properly so that it ends up where it should, and isn’t full of unnecessary debris when it does arrive at its destination. How? By having good, well-installed storm drains on your property. There are a number of types of drains you can use on your property, and installing the right combination of drains can help you correctly move rain water away from your home and into your town’s drainage system. The trained experts at Bronco Plumbing Heating and Air can design and install a drainage system for your property, so call us today.

Storm Drain Types

A hybrid water heater does two things:

  • Foundation drains/French drains – the purpose of a foundation or French drain is to divert water from your home’s foundation and re-distribute it to your lawn in a gradual way. Foundation drains consist of a perforated drainpipe that is placed in a small trench lined with fabric and gravel; once the pipe is placed into the trench, it is covered with additional gravel. When it rains, the water is dispersed through the gravel to the surrounding ground.
  • Roof drain pipe – a roof drain pipe is a pipe that connects directly to the gutters or piping that runs along the edge of your roof. A roof drain pipe typically runs the height of your home and drains directly into your town’s storm drain or other outlet.
  • Gutter system – gutters capture and move water running down your roof to a drain pipe or water collector.
  • Yard inlets – yard inlets are small round or rectangular grills with attached containers that help block debris from moving with the draining water; they can also capture the water and help divert it toward the main storm drain.
  • Trench drains – trench drains are used for areas like driveways so that water flowing over a large area can be captured and directed to the main storm drain.
  • Drywell – a drywell is an in-ground well that remains dry unless there is excess water present on your property. The drywell serves as a runoff point and is not connected to the main storm drain system. The water that fills a drywell passes to the surrounding ground through a fabric filter after flowing over gravel placed in the bottom of the well.

Have concerns about your storm water drainage in Sacramento? Call the experts at Bronco Plumbing Heating and Air today!